Snorkeling the Grecian Rocks at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo, Florida
Blog Post - November 15, 2020
We arrived at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo, Florida.
As we entered, there's a guard gate where you pay the entrance fee of $8 which covered a vehicle of between 2 to 8 people. You can look up current pricing at Pennekamppark.com/frequently-asked-questions
We booked our snorkeling tour and checked in. Then we went to the docks to get on our boat.
The snorkeling tour that they take you on depends on the weather. The water was too rough to go to the Christ Statue, so we went to the Grecian Rocks Coral Reef. This is the boat we took.
As we left the docks, we headed out through the channel towards the ocean.
As we got closer to the coral reef the water kept getting bluer and clearer.
We snorkeled out from our boat and explored the Grecian Rocks. This is a view looking from the coral reef back at our anchored boat.
The water was crystal clear and the visibility was amazing.
As I snorkelled the Grecian Rocks Coral Reef, I saw all sorts of fish. The colors were amazing!
The coral reef was so alive and vibrant. Even the plant life was beautiful as it would sway back and forth with the current of the ocean.
As I was snorkelling I saw my first reef shark. I've been wanting to see reef sharks for a while and it finally happened in a deeper part of the reef.
After we got back from snorkeling excursion, we wanted to check out the beach and John Pennekamp State Park. Here's a video of the beach. It's a small beach and weren't impressed with it so we didn't hang out there.
This snorkeling excursion was so fun and Julie and I both highly recommend it.
This was one of the best snorkeling trips we've taken and we've done a lot of snorkeling.
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is a must visit if you're in Key Largo, Florida.
The entrance fee to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park was $8. Our snorkeling excursion came to $67.39
Total Cost: $75.39
These are the checklist items that they sent to us before arriving:
- Please plan to arrive 1 hour to 1 1⁄2 hour before.
- Meeting location: Check-in area is located on the Main Concession, next to the visitor's center. If you booked online and have already completed your e-waiver, please go to the main concession to receive your boat assignment. If you have not signed the waiver, please sign the e-waiver sent on the confirmation email or go to a designated Kiosk to complete the required waivers.
- What to know: All of tour boats have at least one vessel equipped to accommodate the boarding of wheelchairs for our guests with special needs. Smoking, alcohol, and chewing gum NOT allowed on board. Boats leave the dock promptly at published time. Schedules subject to seasonal change. All tours are weather permitting. All participants must know how to swim.
- What to bring: Swim wear, towels, reef safe sunscreen, snorkeling equipment (mask, fins, snorkel), guests may bottled water.
- What's included: A "how to snorkel" lesson from crew member, snorkel vest (must be worn at all times while in water), drinking water is not provided. We encourage to bring your own bottled water.
Want to share your own travel experiences?
Build your own travel lifestyle Website using the same all-in-one platform that I use.
Host your Website, Build Your Courses, and Accept Payments with Kajabi!GET A FREE TRIAL OF KAJABI